Tuesday 7 February 2012

All our Yesterdays - February 7th 1969


43 years ago today
The National Hunt card for Sandown Park


Jockeys with booked rides include… Vic Soane, Steve Jobar, Ron Hyett, Stan Mellor, Jeff King, David Mould, Johnny Cook, Willie Robinson, Andy Turnell, Joe Guest, Paul Kelleway, Roger Rowell, John Williams, Ron Atkins, Josh Gifford, Bill Rees, Macer Gifford, David Nicholson, Terry Biddlecombe, Johnny Buckingham, and Jimmy Uttley.

Trainers with runners include… Bob Turnell, Vernon Cross, Colin Davies, Fulke Walwyn, Ken Ivory, Arthur Pitt, Ken Cundell, Peter Cazalet, Frank Cundell, Tim Forster, H Thompson Jones, Auriol Sinclair, Jack Hooton, Peter Bailey, Harry Hannon, Reg Akehurst, Frenchie Nicholson, Ricky Vallance, and Ted Goddard.

Horses declared to run include… Kingward, Tibidabo, Kings Shoon, Blackthorn Winter, Stalbridge Colonist, The Laird, Different Class, Sir Kybo, Lode, Sun Hat, Ballysun, Charter Flight, and Roman Scandal.


Sandown Card



Sandown Results


6 comments:

  1. In your opening you forgot to mention.......Jimmy McNaught! I worked with Jimmy for a while for Robin Blakeney at Charing Kent. Jim nearly drowned once at Plumpton & also was unseated at the first in a two horse race!On the other side I did see him win a race after being virtually tailed off but would never give up. He also had a big win at Cheltenham on Barmer in 1976. Last I heard he was living in Yorkshire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just looked Jimmy McNaught up and I found him riding a double at Plumpton on March 20th 1974 for Robin Blakeney.

    Tell me something Graham... when you were in Newmarket did you know an Irish lad who worked for Bill O'Gorman by the name of Jimmy McCarthy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. He was a great guy was Jimmy. I wasn't in Newmarket, I worked in Epsom for Scobie, Tommy Gosling & Peter Ashworth. I also used to ride out for dave Jermy after I left racing, I did know a couple of lads from newmarket, Stuart Parr & Paul Bradwell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure why but I'd convinced myself that you were in Newmarket for a couple of years Graham... Maybe J. R. Cullen was there for a short period and I was mixing it up with that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jimmy McNaught rode for Robin Blakeney when Robin trained across the road from me in Bishops Cannings Wiltshire. Sadly Robin died of a heart attack about 6 years ago.
    His wife Marion still lives in the area as does his son.
    His daughter Judy who rode for Robin in now in the metropolitan police.
    Had many a happy day with Robin and his family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sad to hear of Robins death. I've never seen someone use as much butter on toast as Robin! I have good memories of the Blakeney's from my time with them in Kent.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.